Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Day Two - GAETI 2018

Hello! We started our second day of GAETI in the lab with Dr. Lee. We learned how to make a video in Adobe Spark. This teaches us how to create our final video testimonial for this class. We practiced by making a sample video called 'Summer 2018.'  Here is a link to my video:  https://spark.adobe.com/video/Bzrcpwc674jrl   

For this project, I would enjoy inserting actual pictures from my vacation, rather than using the free pics in the gallery.  I need to upload my pics from my phone to Google Drive so I can work from any available device.  It will be easy to add narration and change the pictures once I have the actual material. This would be easy to use with my students. They have iPads, not computers. They tend to have trouble with anything that requires a great deal of editing or formatting.

The second morning sessions was about creating presentations. Stephanie Agnew from the MSU library gave us many points about creating and delivering good presentations.  We can check the library files to get a copy of her presentation. One excellent point (which I know from experience) was 'have a Plan B.'  Several times I've had to adapt to unexpected situations even though I had the presentation completely ready.  The Power could go out, the projector could malfunction, the students might not have their device ... All these things have happened to me before!


In the afternoon , Thomas Da Foe from MSU library taught us about 3-D printing. Students and community guests are allowed to used the printers in the library once they are trained.  The cost is figured per gram of filament used. The MSU library has the following 3-D printers:  MakerBot Replicator 2, UP! Mini and CreateBox Mini. You can design your own 3-D objects with a program such as 'Sketch-Up,' 'Autodesk,' or 'DS Solidworks.' Tech departments in public schools can request 'Sketch-Up PRO' for free! These are some objects printed in the library.

Here is the link for guides and tutorials from the library:
guides.library.msstate.edu/dmc

In art - we painted our boards with gesso (JESS-o), a glue-like substance to make the paint adhere to the wood. We had to paint 3 coats of gesso. During the 'drying' time, we chose and scaled our backgrounds. I'm using a sort of 'freestyle' background with areas of color so I won't really have to outline any shapes.

Since my tiles are about weather in the fall - my colors represent the sky, the leaves and the sun.

To finish the day - we learned some html code for creating a webpage. We used the program Brackets. It is an application on the lab computers. I'm sure I will need a manual to remember everything. However, it helps to understand how webpages are created via an authoring tool/HTML editor;  CSS - for styles and Java for animations.
w3schools.com has a tutorial for each step.


I had to finish my blog after I left class so I can share what I saw as I was driving home. There was a rainbow in the east, the direction I was heading! I was hoping to find a pot of gold at my house. Unfortunately, instead of a pot of gold - I found a box of tomatoes. Then, I had to stay up late to help my husband make salsa! At least the salsa is very good and we'll enjoy it this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day Five

The last day, for real this time! We had the external review with the IHL ladies. We ordered lunch from Peppers, graciously paid for by th...